WEPAL and QUASIMEME organise proficiency tests with global participation. In January 2011, the activities of both proficiency testing organisations have been merged, resulting in WEPAL/QUASIMEME.
Within WEPAL/QUASIMEME, WEPAL covers the proficiency tests related to the terrestrial environment (e.g. soil, plants, manure, compost and biomass) and freshwater sediment. QUASIMEME covers the proficiency tests organised in the marine environment (e.g. sea water, marine sediment, biota and shellfish toxins.
WEPAL/QUASIMEME is more than a proficiency testing scheme. At the heart of the project is a holistic learning by doing spiral. The routine laboratory performance studies provide the basis of external quality assurance for institutes that make regular chemical measurements in the terrestrial, aquatic and marine enviroment. Most studies have two (marine programmes) or four (other programmes) rounds per annum with per round a minimum of two test materials containing the analytes at different concentrations.
WEPAL/QUASIMEME offers nine worldwide accredited programmes (ISO17043)
|Soil||International Soil-analytical Exchange Programme||ISE|
|Fresh Water Sediment||Sediment Exchange for Tests on Organic Contaminants||SETOC|
|Marine Sediment||Marine Sediment Exchange Programmes||MS|
|(Sea)Water||Marine Aquatic Exchange Programmes||AQ|
|Biota||Marine Biota Exchange Programmes||BT|
|Shellfish Toxins||Marine Shellfish toxins Exchange Programmes||BT|
|Plants||International Plant-analytical Exchange Programme||IPE|
|Manure||Manure and Refuse Exchange Programme||MARSEP|
|Biomass||Biomass Exchange Programme||BIMEP|
- Validate internal laboratory Quality Assurance.
- Beneficial for method development and improvement.
- Support accreditation (e.g. ISO17025).
- Support QA of environmental monitoring data.
- Provide data for national or international programmes.
- WEPAL/QUASIMEME has over 60 (!) years of experience in proficiency testing.
- Participation is open to any laboratory.
- All materials are homogeneous and stable for the objective of the test.
- At competitive fees WEPAL/QUASIMEME covers a wide range of sample types, e.g. Soil, Fresh Water Sediment and Marine Sediment, Seawater, Biota, Shellfish Toxins, Plants, Manure and Compost, and Biomass.
- The vast number of determinands to choose from range from elements, chemical pollutants, toxins, and nutritional values to microplastics and human and animal pathogens.
- If you register as a participant in WEPAL/QUASIMEME programmes, you are entitled to discounts for multiple orders e.g. proficiency testing programmes, available reference materials and other services.
- Reporting of the analytical data is done directly in our database, including data check.
- Determinands can be added to the program free of charge when possible.
- Your reports are published within four weeks after the submission deadline and are strictly confidential.
- The organisation is compliant to ISO17043, ISO9000 and ISO14001 and accredited.
- Track trace information of packages is available.
- Regular questionnaires to investigate the needs of laboratories and to improve the quality of the services provided by WEPAL/QUASIMEME.
- Natural test materials of relevant matrices with determinands at realistic concentrations.
- Test materials with full evidence of homogeneity and stability for the duration of the test.
- Clear protocols how to handle the test materials.
- Full performance assessment based on robust statistics, performance summary sheets and exercise reports.
- Confidential information on own laboratory performance and anonymised results from all participants.
- Method information about the methods used by participants.
- Workshops for discussion and improvement in methodology.
- A Helpdesk, which is supported by experts in the field.
- News, workshops and conferences.
- Fill in the application form here
- Select the programmes and rounds you wish to subscribe to.
- It is strongly advised to join each round organised for a selected exercise in a specific year. Nevertheless, it is also possible to join a single round or a selection of different rounds.
- When your laboratory needs a proforma invoice first, you can request a quotation in the application process.
- The WEPAL/QUASIMEME proficiency tests are available to any organisation for the purposes of providing support to laboratories' QA programme
- Each test material will be provided in a suitable container, correctly labelled with the hazard warning and international codes for transport. It will be homogeneous and stable for the duration of the study period and sufficient for the determination. Additional test material will be charged on a pro rata basis.
- Unless replicate data are requested, only one set of data will be assessed from each participant for each test material.
- Sharing test materials between participants is not recommended due to the high risk of contamination or handling effects on the sample. Each participant should request a separate set of test materials.
- It is the responsibility of the participant to notify WEPAL/QUASIMEME in case of problems with packages, for instance when test materials received are damaged or not received at all. A damaged test material will be replaced free of charge, provided that the participant provides details of the damage.
- Each participant will be required to pay a fee for each group of test materials required.
- The fees and annual subscription will be due, following receipt of the participant's request and dispatch of the first set of test material.
- No subscription fee will be returned to any participant except when a study has been cancelled and the test material is not issued. Once issued test material will not be accepted for return and full payment of the material will be due.
- Data which arrive after the deadline may not be included in the assessment.